Search Postgresql Archives

Re: initdb problem on Windows XP Home

adurrant@xxxxxxxxx wrote:
Hi Richard,

Thanks for getting back to me.

Yes, I have a "postgres" limited account that will own the files.  (This was the one created by the installer.)  In
order to ensure the this user has access/full control to "C:\Program Files\Postgresql\8.1", I used the "cacls" command
to edit the access control list and add postgres:f.
i.e. I ran
cacls "C:\Program Files\PostgreSQL\8.1" /t /e /g postgres:f

(I've discovered this morning that I can boot in safe mode to get the Security tab on folder properties in XP Home. I'll check that this evening to see if it looks correct.)

However, to continue with your suggestion, after running the cacls statment above, I did log in as postgres and then
ran:
    initd -D "C:\Program Files\Postgresql\8.1\data" ...
Yes, I did include the double quotes (due to the space in "Program Files") but it was still the same result.  "could not
create directory "C:/Program Files": File exists".

Hmm. That doesn't make any sense to me. I'm guessing it's a different error code behind the scenes. I suppose you can issue
  cd "C:/Program Files"
  dir
successfully as user postgres?

If so, try forward slashes to match the output of the error message: "C:/Program Files/Postgresql/..."

If that's still not working and none of the Windows guys pop up, I'll try and reproduce it on my XP-Pro laptop.
--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd