Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Blob fields and backups

On Nov 30, 2006, at 5:15 AM, william.munoz@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
I have an Oracle DB, where my backup file is 280 GB and growing. I also have a lot of blob fields there. When i make a backup recover, the blob fields are
there, and my boss is alive.

I want to know how postgresql's backup utilities deal with blob fields...

Most people that deal with binary data in PostgreSQL use bytea, which to PostgreSQL is JustAnotherField. It'll dump and restore just fine. The one downside is that a lot of binary values get escaped into octal, ie '\000', which adds a lot of size to the dump. Though, the custom dump type might get around that. I think that support for large objects (which are more akin to Oracle blobs/clobs) is in pg_dump as well, but I've never actually used them.

Ultimately, if you've got a 300G database, you probably don't want to be using pg_dump anyway; instead use Point In Time Recovery.
--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@xxxxxxxxx