Search Postgresql Archives

Re: vacuum: out of memory error

Thanks for the responses!

One thing I've forgotten: it's not reproducible. I can issue vacuum command manually without any problems few minutes/seconds after seeing the error message "out of memory" in the server log.

I also can't find any corrupted rows manually.

And for the listen/notify problem - it narrowed down to be our software bug.

So I've got "vacuum: out of memory" in server log from time to time and no other symptoms.

> That can also be caused by setting maintenance_work_mem too high for
> what your hardware is capable of, though I agree that given the other > problems it's likely that there is some kind of corruption.

maintenance_work_mem = 256000

There are 4G of RAM and 4G swap.

There's always:

ERROR:  out of memory
DETAIL:  Failed on request of size 262143996

256000 (work_mem in kb) * 1024 = 262144000

What is the cause of the error? Continuous block of this size can't be allocated?

So maybe there's no corruption - what do you think?

Regards,

Kuba