Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Development of cross-platform GUI for Open Source DBs

Hi,

I am maintaining such an application and it is neither bulky nor slow. It's all
a matter of implementation.

Can I have a link to the application or more info on that? I would be
interested to take a look into it.

Sure: http://www.sql-workbench.net

I have nothing against JDBC or JAVA (did my words sounded petulant
towards it?) but 90% of the databases do provide lowest level APIs in
C. Having an app in C helps us to use very very less memory (this I
say from my experience where I could get million record from a remote
server to my client at much faster rates then a another app).

That might be true, but then how often do you really *need* millions of records on the client especially in a DB GUI where the primary task (at least that's how I see it) is to run ad-hoc queries or check other results.

Which leads me to the (most important?) question: what do "we" understand under the term "GUI for DB" is that a full featured data-entry where a normal end-user can update data? Is that an admin tool for the DBA, which is intended to run daily DBA taks? Or maybe even some kind of ETL tool?

> Lot of
times it has happened that the C API (atleast with MySQL and PGSQL C
API)  provides some extra information which when smartly used can make
things lot efficient.
That is true, but then a tool supporting multiple DBMS will (most probably) have to comprise now and then. Otherwise you'll wind up writing one tool for each DBMS and simply combining them under a common GUI.

Also, why I started a thread with wxWidgets was because C/C++ is what
I have been using all my life and from my experience of developing
couple of cross platform simple GUI, I fount wxWidgets to most mature
and easy to use.

As I already mentioned, I'm a Java developer and naturally I find Swing most mature and easy to use ;) Actually if I look at tools that are written with wxWidgets (not that often) I tend to find they look less like native Windows apps as a well written Swing application using a recent JDK (1.5 or 1.6)

But that is largely a matter of taste I'd say, and everybody tends to prefer the environment that he/she is familiar with

Thomas