Search Postgresql Archives

Re: tracking errors in psql

Richard Huxton wrote:
brian wrote:

I've just gotten a dump from pgMyAdmin for a production database that i wanted to update the dev db with. However, i'm seeing a multitude of errors. From what i can see, the columns are mixed up in the COPY block for a particular table. My guess is that a tab character has thrown everything into disaray. The dump is structure & data, using COPY FROM STDIN.

1. This shouldn't happen. Dump/restore should work for all data with the standard pg_dump/pg_restore tools.

It did. I asked the client to send me a dump using seperate INSERTs instead of COPY. That worked fine.

Note that the dump did not come from pg_dump, but from a third-party software (see below).

2. What is "pgMyAdmin" - I'm not sure I've heard of it.

Right, that would be phpPGAdmin (which i've not had much experience with).

As for tracking down where the offending values were, i used \o to echo out to a file.

brian