Search Postgresql Archives

Re: PostgreSQL: Question about rules

On 11/17/06, Jeff Davis <pgsql@xxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

Why do you need so many functions though? Won't one SQL function do the
trick?

Regards,
        Jeff Davis

You're right, one will do the trick - I was thinking update and
delete, but of course those will be fine with plain rules because they
don't need to do anything with default values.

Even so, I guess I have to use a trigger+function instead of a real
rule, and have an INSTEAD DO NOTHING rule for insert so that the
trigger gets called without error.  Seems like a bit of a kludge; I
think I may just give up and do all this stuff in application logic
instead of database logic.

I learned a helluva lot about PG though!  Thanks!

Jeremy