Search Postgresql Archives

Copy command to load data into a PostgreSQL DB

We are having trouble coming up with a column separator for the Oracle data that is being imported into our PostgreSQL DB. We are using Fastreader to dump Oracle tables. We then use PostgreSQL copy to load the table data into PostgreSQL. Unfortunately, some of the Oracle data contains every ASCII printable character so we have to dump it with a non-printing character as the column separator We can not figure out how to specify a non-printing character for the delimiter in the PostgreSQL copy command. If we use '\x05' as suggested by the Fastreader User guide. PostgreSQL complains "ERROR: COPY delimiter must be a single character".

-=bill stafford