Search Postgresql Archives

Re: connectby usage question

Eric E wrote:

However, we would like to return a numbering the items based on the order they return, like so;

1 (first item)
1.1 (1 branch, 1st item)
1.2 (1 branch, 2nd item)
1.2.1 (1.2 branch, 1st item)
1.2.2
1.2.2.1
1.3

etc.
Is there an option in connectby to do this directly, or do we need to write another function to do this?

There is no support for this in connectby, but I imagine it wouldn't be too hard to hack connectby to do it for you. Probably much easier to do that than try to add it with another function.

Joe