Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Pushing the Limits

Cabbar Duzayak wrote:
Hi,

We have huge amount of data, and we are planning to use logical
partitioning to divide it over multiple machines instances. We are
planning to use Intel based machines and there is not much updates but
mostly selects. The main table that constitutes this much of data has
about 5 columns, and rows are about 50 bytes in size, and 3 columns in
this table need to be indexed.

So, what I wanted to learn is how much can we push it to the limits on
a single machine with about 2 gig rams? Do you think PostGres can
handle ~ 700-800 gigabyte on a single machine? And, is it OK to put
this much data in a single table, or should we divide it over multiple
tables? If that is the case, what would be the limit for a single
table?

Any help/input on this is greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Yeah, pg can handle that much data. As an example, we have some databases in that size range on commodity hardware with comparable ram etc. However, all of the large tables are partitioned into manageable sizes (daily tables, in this case).