Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgres at startup

Michael McCloskey wrote:
Postgres is starting automatically for me at startup.
When I boot up my machine and then check the running processes I see
postmaster.exe and 4 postgres processes.
How can I stop this?
I don't want Postgres starting up automatically.

On a linux machine, there are a set of startup scripts in /etc/init.d which are linked to from /etc/rc[12345].d. Google around and you'll find details for your particular operating-system.

On a windows machine, you can control services through the control-panel. You can both start/stop services and control whether they start up automatically.

If you don't know how to start/stop services, or take backups etc. then I'd recommend getting a book on administering systems. Better to know these things before you need to (which always seems to be 9pm Friday night).

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd