Search Postgresql Archives

ROWTYPE initialization question

'lo list,

I have a plpgsql SP where I loop through a cursor. I have an internal variable that keeps the previous row, so that I can compare it with the current row in the cursor.
Like so;

DECLARE
    current table%ROWTYPE;
    previous table%ROWTYPE;
BEGIN
    LOOP
	FETCH tableCur INTO current;

	-- Do stuff

But, in this loop I need to compare the previous row to the current one. To do that I need to know whether a row was assigned to 'previous', or there'll be very little to compare (if it doesn't throw an error).
How do I check for that?

I guess it would be like this, but I'd like to be sure.

	IF previous IS NOT NULL
	THEN
		-- Compare previous and current column values
	END IF

	previous := current;
    END LOOP;
END;