Search Postgresql Archives

Re: R and postgres

On Monday 06 November 2006 07:38 pm, Reece Hart wrote:
> On Mon, 2006-11-06 at 19:13 -0800, Adrian Klaver wrote:
> > You might want to take a look at PL/R a procedural language for R in
> > Postgres.
> > http://www.joeconway.com/plr/
>
> PL/R is indeed neat, but I want to go the other way: within R, fetch
> data from postgres and manipulate it (plot, histogram, etc). I
> appreciate that I could expose this through postgres, but that's a
> little awkward for prototyping and I'm not keen to add load to my
> postgres box.
>
> -Reece
Sorry, I did not read the message closely enough. A quick perusal of the R
docs helped me understand the issue a little better. The only solution I can
see at this point is to have an intermediate step. There are two ways I can
see to do this. The first is to use the copy command to create  a csv file.
The read.table() function would then be used in R to import the data. The
second is use the program pg2xbase
http://www.klaban.torun.pl/prog/pg2xbase/
to create a DBF file and use read.dbf() to input the file.
--
Adrian Klaver
aklaver@xxxxxxxxxxx