Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Schema search_path and views

Cool!

That explains it fully. So i guess there will be a better performance
to the pre-generated views at the price of more views.

Thanks!

On 11/6/06, Merlin Moncure <mmoncure@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
On 11/6/06, Just Someone <just.some@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I have a database with multiple schemas all with the same structure
> (but of course different data...).
>
> I want to create a view that will be created in a shared schema, and
> when executed will be executed against the current schema. Whenever I
> try it, it seems the view is linked to a specific schema used when
> creating it, and doesn't reevaluates based on the current schema.

no, or not exactly.  views resolve the search path when they are
generated.  this is a fundemental part of how they work.  functions,
however, are a bit different.  the plans are lazily generated and
'stick' to the tables that are resolved in the search path when the
plan is generated, which is basically the first time you run them in a
session.  so, you could in theory do what you want with a view if it
called functions for all the switchable parts.

merlin

--
Family management on rails: http://www.famundo.com - coming soon!
My development related blog: http://devblog.famundo.com