Search Postgresql Archives

Re: No subject

Tsakiridis Orestis wrote:
Hi,

I'm looking for a way to monitor all the queries that are executed by
the server and to be able, by using these queries, to reproduce the
data in all databases.

Beware - query shipping runs into problems with
  DELETE FROM my_table WHERE ts < now()

> The idea is to periodicaly (e.g. every two
minutes) store the newly executed queries in a sort of wal segment
file. I first tried to figure this out by monitoring the data in the
wal file that is currently being updated (in the directory
.../pg_xlogs). I hoped that it would be blank (filled with zeroes)
from the last wal info inserted up to the end of the file. That was
not the case. The wal files are recycled and the new wal info is
written over the old one.

If the current PITR isn't good enough for you:
  http://www.postgresql.org/docs/8.1/static/backup.html

Check that the changes in 8.2 beta aren't helpful
  http://www.postgresql.org/developer/beta

Finally, I also thought about placing a trigger in every table's
update but this is far too complicated and cannot be applied to
already functional database applications.

Have you looked at slony?
  http://gborg.postgresql.org/project/slony1/projdisplay.php

The word you want to search on for all this is "replication".

--
  Richard Huxton
  Archonet Ltd