Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Compiling/Installing as a non-admin user

Thanks to all of you.

I have get it up and running according to my needs. Help by everybody is appreciated!

Richard Huxton wrote:
Gurjeet Singh wrote:
You are talking about /usr/local/data; so I assume that you are trying this
on Linux or some other Nixen.

You just need to use the --prefix option to configure... Here's what I
typically do:

Download/'CVS checkout' the sources. Enter the source directory, and invoke
configure like this:

./configure --enable-debug --prefix `pwd`/db CFLAGS=-O0

And the run 'make' and 'make install'. This will install the data in your
<sources_dir>/db/data.

And then of course you'll need to remember to set your port to something other than 5432, and tweak your PATH, PGPORT etc or define some aliases/wrappers so you don't end up running against the default installation. Oh, and you'll need to tweak the startup scripts and logging configuration so you get logs somewhere useful.

I think Tom Lane has a script that lets him switch between different installations (versions in his case). I only tend to have two versions active at any one time, so I just define an alias for psql.
  alias psql82='/usr/local/pgsql82/bin/psql -p 5434'
On the rare occasion when I run an 8.2 createdb I need to remember to put the port number in manually of course.

HTH