Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Scalability

On Oct 29, 2006, at 02:31 , Bill wrote:

I was surprised to learn that PostgreSQL creates a new process for each
connection. Doesn't this severely limit its scalability by consuming
resources rapidly on the server as the number of user increases?

On Windows, yes; Win32 processes carry a not insignificant amount of baggage with them, and you would probably want a connection pool between your app and PostgreSQL in order to throttle the load.

PostgreSQL was designed and optimized for Unix, where processes are lightweight, very fast to set up and come with added security benefits such as protected address spaces. You will notice most daemons follow this approach.

Some, like Apache 2.x, offer a hybrid approach with n threads distributed over m processes. I suspect it would take a large engineering effort to retrofit PostgreSQL to do this on Windows, since a lot of PostgreSQL's internals probably aren't thread-safe, but in theory it could work.

Alexander.