Search Postgresql Archives

Re: database not enforcing unqiue constriant

On 10/27/06, Joshua D. Drake <jd@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Merlin Moncure wrote:
> My previous employer contacted me today.  Apparently they are having
> an increasing frequency of occurances where they disocover violations
> of the primary key constraint not being caught by the database.  This
> system is an ISAM emulation system, and it relies heavily on the
> database throwing unique constraint violations to approximately
> provide a cobol rewrite statement.
>
> These errors are never caught when they occur.  One way they are
> caught is during a dump/reload, the record fails to reinsert.
>
> I brought this up around a year ago, and the issue was never
> successfully resolved.  These are windows systems running PostgreSQL
> 8.0.x.
>
> any thoughts?

Do they vacuum enough? I have seen problems with PostgreSQL (albeit not
since 7.3) where a unique constraint would not enforce because of index
bloat.

iirc vacuum was set up to run weekly on cron.  based on turnover which
was high but not super high that seemed appropriate.

merlin