Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Help needed

On Oct 19, 2006, at 8:19 AM, <Craig_Walker@xxxxxxxxxx> <Craig_Walker@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

I want to upgrade a system from 7.3.8 ro 8.1.5

I am new to Psql and looking for handy hints

Any known problems or pit-falls ?

You'll need to dump the database and reload (pg_dump and pg_restore), 8.1 uses a different data format.

There can be issues with character encodings. IIRC 8.1 is much more strict about what it allows than 7.4 was. So you could potentially run into errors importing the data into 8.1 fro 7.x.

I would keep the 7.4 database around after dumping it to correct any possible encoding glitches.

There are also quite a few query planner changes between these versions. They are certainly improvements, but they can mean that queries that work correctly on 7.4 that fail to use the same indices or just behave differently on 8.1. Most of the time things will just work (and work better), but you'll want to watch out for that.

Anything we need to do in preparation ?

I would just do a dry run. Dump the 7.4 database and install 8.1.5 somewhere (perhaps in a local directory or on another machine). Then load the dump into it and run the ANALYZE sql command.

If it loads successfully, test out your applications against it. Test it and test it some more.

8.1 is typically configured differently than 7.4 wrt things like shared_buffers and whatnot. You'll definitely want to adjust the defaults for things (upwards) and you'll probably want different settings than before even running on the same hardware.

You'll probably also want to turn autovacuum on, and possible vacuum_cost_delay. This page describes a lot of the settings with recommendations (even though it's getting pretty dated now, the info is still useful):

http://www.powerpostgresql.com/Downloads/annotated_conf_80.html

hth,

-Casey