Search Postgresql Archives

Re: plpgsql handling a set of values

On 10/11/06, pobox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx <pobox@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
> I think you should have a look at the ltree contrib package. It
> implements tree-like structures, and probably makes your problem much
> simpler.

I have never used contrib modules with PostgreSQL - are they easy to
handle - I mean, especially upon upgrade, etc.

installation:
make && make install

upgrade issue is tricky.  their is a lower burden of backwards
compatibility than on in-core features.  for example, some of contrib
was gpl and is getting moved out/changed.  however, the more popular
modules, like tsearch are very well supported.  I haven't used ltree
module myself but on the surface it has some advantages and
disadvantages over the approach I suggested.  However, the authors,
namely Teodor Sigaev and Oleg Bartunov are some pretty amazing coders.

merlin