Search Postgresql Archives

Re: restoring a file system backed-up data dir

> The pg_dump backup is a better bet.
>
> If you are really desperate to recover the latest changes, try
> pg_resetxlog then pg_dump, and diff the dump file against your good
> pg_dump to see which changes you want to believe and apply.  But I'd
> still say you want to initdb and restore from the pg_dump backup before
> going forward.

Thanks for all of the advice.  Fortunately, this is a lesson I am learning on my practice server.
I would hate to think of the predicament I would be in if this happened to my server at work.

Here, none of the data is critical, I just didn't want to re-created all of the schemas that I am

But lesson learned,  I am going to a closer look at my back-up strategy.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.