Search Postgresql Archives

restoring a file system backed-up data dir

My test server's sw/raid array recently died where I kept my PostgreSQL data directory.  I have
both a full dump of the database and a file system back-up of the data directory.

I tried to restore my file system back-up first since it is a "fresher" copy.  However, I am
unable to start postgres.  The exit status I get from pg_ctl is "127" but I haven't yet found any
documentation relating to it exit-codes.  There are no logs file created when I try to start up
postgresql, so I am a little unsure as to what direction I should take.

Should I just make do with the older pg_dump file and re-initdb or is there a way to salvage the
restored file system back-up.

Thanks for any help.

Regards,

Richard Broersma Jr.