Search Postgresql Archives

Two efficiency questions - clustering and ints

I have a good-size DB (some tables approaching 100M rows), with essentially static data.

Should I always cluster the tables? That is, even if no column jumps out as being involved in most queries, should I pick a likely one and cluster on it? (Of course, this assumes that doing so won't cause bad correlation with any other oft-used column.)

Another question, about integer types - if no cross-type coercion is involved, is there any reason not to choose the smallest int type that will fit my data? In particular, I have a column of small- integer ratings with, say, values in [1, 10]. If I'm only comparing within such ratings, and possibly computing floating point averages, etc., what are the good and bad points of using, say, SMALLINT? What about NUMERIC(1) or (2)?

Thanks in advance for the usual brilliant replies!

- John D. Burger
  MITRE