Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Determining size of a database before dumping

Steve Wampler wrote:
Madison Kelly wrote:
Hi all,

  I am (re)writing a backup program and I want to add a section for
backing up pSQL DBs. In the planning steps (making sure a given
destination has enough space) I try to calculate how much space will be
needed by a 'pg_dump' run *before* actually dumping it.

I suppose:

   pg_dump $PGD_OPTIONS | wc -c

isn't efficient enough, right?  Without knowing the options you plan
to use with pg_dump (compression?  dump just tables?, etc.) this is
going to be hard to get a decent estimate from...

For now, lets assume I am doing a raw dump (no compression) and no fancy switches. I would probably err of the side of caution and try dumping OIDs and all schema (plus whatever else is needed to insure a full restore to a clean DB).

I could try piping the dump into something like 'wc' but with very large DBs I'd be worried about the (tremendous) disk I/O that would cause. This is also why I am hoping Pg keeps this info somewhere.

Madison