Search Postgresql Archives

Performance and Generic Config after install

As an aside to the "[GENERAL] Advantages of PostgreSQL" thread going on today, I have wondered why the initial on install config of PostgreSQL is (according to most posts) very conservative. I can see how this would be a plus when people may be getting PostgreSQL as part of an OS in the Linux world who may never/rarely use it.

I know that in reality tuning and sizing all of the parameters is a very database specific thing, but it would seem that if some default choices would be available it would give those testing/evaluation and trying to get started a shot at quicker progress. Obviously they would still need to tune to your own application.

Some dreadfully named, possibly pointless options?

Unoptimized / low performance - Low load on Server (The current out of the box) Production Non Dedicated - PostgreSQL is one of the apps sharing server but is important. Production Dedicated Server - The only purpose of this box is to run PostgreSQL

Perhaps this has already been suggested and or shot down?

Oisin