Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Array assignment behavior (was Re: [ADMIN] Stored procedure

Ok, just so I can be sure I understand what I just read: i. says that you can assign to an array that has not been initialized. ii. states that the index of an insertion into an array should not be limited by the current range of index values of the array and requires any gaps in the index range to be set with values of null. I really don't have anything to add to discussion other than that I agree with Tom's assessment, but rather want clarify what might be a slightly hazy interpretation of the specs listed below.

Tom Lane wrote:
Actually, now that I look closely, I think the SQL spec demands exactly
this.  Recall that SQL99 only allows one-dimensional, lower-bound-one
arrays.  The specification for UPDATE ... SET C[I] = SV ... reads

              Case:

              i) If the value of C is null, then an exception condition is
                 raised: data exception - null value in array target.

             ii) Otherwise:

                 1) Let N be the maximum cardinality of C.

                 2) Let M be the cardinality of the value of C.

                 3) Let I be the value of the <simple value specification>
                   immediately contained in <update target>.

                 4) Let EDT be the element type of C.

                 5) Case:

                   A) If I is greater than zero and less than or equal to
                      M, then the value of C is replaced by an array A
                      with element type EDT and cardinality M derived as
                      follows:

                      I) For j varying from 1 (one) to I-1 and from I+1 to
                        M, the j-th element in A is the value of the j-th
                        element in C.

                     II) The I-th element of A is set to the specified
                        update value, denoted by SV, by applying the
                        General Rules of Subclause 9.2, "Store assignment",
                        to the I-th element of A and SV as TARGET and
                        VALUE, respectively.

                   B) If I is greater than M and less than or equal to
                      N, then the value of C is replaced by an array A
                      with element type EDT and cardinality I derived as
                      follows:

                      I) For j varying from 1 (one) to M, the j-th element
                        in A is the value of the j-th element in C.

                     II) For j varying from M+1 to I-1, the j-th element in
                        A is the null value.

                    III) The I-th element of A is set to the specified
                        update value, denoted by SV, by applying the
                        General Rules of Subclause 9.2, "Store assignment",
                        to the I-th element of A and SV as TARGET and
                        VALUE, respectively.

                   C) Otherwise, an exception condition is raised: data
                      exception - array element error.

We currently violate case i by allowing the null array value to be
replaced by a single-element array.  I'm disinclined to change that,
as I think our behavior is more useful than the spec's.  But case ii.5.B
pretty clearly describes null-fill, so I think we'd better do that, now
that we can.

			regards, tom lane

erik jones <erik@xxxxxxxxxx>
software development