Search Postgresql Archives

File System Access:

All,

I have a need to create/copy/delete files on my server from a function in PostreSql. I am running 8.x PostreSql on Windows 200x and my functions etc are currently only in PL/pgSQL. Is there a way to create files/copy them and delete them from PL/pgSQL or could i call an external bat file job from PL/pgSQL. Or do I need to branch into doing something with a different language (perhaps PL/PerlU)? If anyone has an example or experience they could share I would appreciate it. I had thought about having a table with a list of operations and then scheduling a job in the OS to call and execute them but these operations need to happen in real time.

Thanks in advance,

Oisin