Search Postgresql Archives

Re: pl/perl autonomous transactions question

On Sep 25, 2006, at 3:05 PM, Bob wrote:
One issue I see with my current DBI solution is I need to hard code or pass in as variables the connection information. I would prefer not to have the password lying around in plain site. Keep in mind this is a batch process not a something I that is called manually where a user is
going to be entering their username and password in.

You might be able to use ident authentication. There's also the .pgpass file.

Unfortunately, there's no way right now to handle the authentication automatically, though that would be nice to have.

BTW, you should take a look at contrib/dblink. It'd probably be more performant than a perl procedure would be, among other benefits.
--
Jim Nasby                                            jim@xxxxxxxxx