To: "Bob Pawley" <rjpawley@xxxxxxx>
Cc: "Ragnar" <gnari@xxxxxxx>; "Postgresql" <pgsql-general@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Sunday, September 24, 2006 4:30 PM
Subject: Re: [GENERAL] serial column

Bob Pawley <rjpawley@xxxxxxx> writes:
I am using the numbers to identify devices.
If a device is deleted or replaced with another type of device I want the
numbering to still be sequential.

It sounds to me like you oughtn't be storing these numbers in the
database at all.  You just want to attach them at display time --- they
are certainly utterly meaningless as keys if they can change at any
moment.

regards, tom lane