Search Postgresql Archives

Re: postgresql rising

On Wed, Sep 20, 2006 at 10:10:56AM -0500, Tony Caduto wrote:
For a high level corp manager all they ever hear about is MS SQL Server,
Oracle and DB2, and the more it costs the more they think it is what
they need :-)

I think that description is false.  At a certain point in the
management hierarchy, the only way anyone has the ability to evaluate
something is on the basis of reputation.

I think that description is false. At a certain point in the management hierarchy, the only way anyone has the ability to evaluate something is on the basis of....

- if there is someone they can sue.
- how attractive the sales rep is.
- how much swag the sales rep brings with them.

:-/

Sadly, I once worked for a company that spent close to $500K on a commercial product when PHP would have worked just as well... I did make sure I wrote a very very long CYA email myself so when someone asked why that decision was made they wouldn't look at me :)

PostgreSQL is building its
reputation, but it doesn't have the marketing budget of those three.
Therefore, it's safer to pick the thing that has a better reputation,
and that makes those reputations stronger still.  So what we need is
a spotless reputation -- which we're building.

Andrew Sullivan  | ajs@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
The whole tendency of modern prose is away from concreteness.
		--George Orwell