Search Postgresql Archives

Re: vista

It's the folks who think that non-Windows-using developers should care
about Vista that bug me.  This is open-source code, people.  Scratch
your own itch.
The "scratch your own itch" line can only be pushed so far, if it is being said by a developer who works on a project that desires to be taken seriously by professionals in industry. For minor features, yes, perhaps it could be argued that the core team could ignore certain issues, and just wait for a patch. For something like Vista compatibility, if you want to be taken seriously by anyone who uses Windows (hands up anyone who knows a Windows user), "scratch your own itch" is not really going to cut it, IMHO. I'm used to getting that line when talking to 2 developer obscure projects that have a userbase of a half a dozen, but for a project like PostgreSQL, the "they tell you to do it yourself" brush is one we do NOT want to get tarred with.

If we don't have the resources to cope with a Vista port immediately then so be it. If it's low priority, so be it. However, lets not appear to deride as unnecessary that which we cannot immediately provide a solution to. That's small time project mentality.

- Naz.