Search Postgresql Archives

Re: duplicate key violates unique constraint

Ron Johnson wrote:
On 09/18/06 19:25, Jeff Davis wrote:

On Mon, 2006-09-18 at 19:47 -0300, vtaquette@xxxxxxxxx wrote:

Hi,

I'm trying to create a table with a PRIMARY KEY. The CREATE statement looks
like this:

CREATE TABLE  "projects" (
 "project_id" serial,
 "username" varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
 "project_name" varchar(30) NOT NULL default '',
 PRIMARY KEY  ("project_id")
) ;

The problem is that sometimes, I would say 1 in 10 tries, when I use a INSERT
command I get the following error:

"duplicate key violates unique constraint"

The INSERT query is that:
"INSERT INTO projects (\"project_name\", \"username\") VALUES ('$project_name',
'$username')";

That INSERT statement will not cause a unique constraint violation. Are
you sure that is the statement causing the problem? Are there any rules
or triggers that may modify the behavior of that INSERT?

If there already are records in the table, sure it would.

dupe_filenames=# insert into projects (project_id, username )
dupe_filenames-# values (1, 'foo');
INSERT 0 1
dupe_filenames=# insert into projects (project_id, username )
dupe_filenames-# values (2, 'bar');
INSERT 0 1

dupe_filenames=# insert into projects (project_id, username )
dupe_filenames-# values (1, 'foo');
ERROR:  duplicate key violates unique constraint "projects_pkey"

If you insert a project_id, yes. The original query from vtaquette does not.

brian