Search Postgresql Archives

Re: select unique items in db

a schreef:
it returns nill now
or nuthing
and it is very very very slow

This is not much info. What is the actual query you are using now? What are the tables like you are running your query against? I'cant really get a good understanding of your problem. So far I have just given you a general answer on the question "how do I select unique items in a database".

I Find it odd that a distinct query on a single table would return NULL/nothing. What is that rank function you are using? That you experience a speed drop could have a number of reasons. Using a distinct on a select query could very well decrease perormance, but I can't tell you in what order of magnitude.

Regards, Stijn.

Stijn Vanroye wrote:
a schreef:
this doesnt work

SELECT DISTINCT on link *, rank(ts_vec, to_tsquery('default', $qtxt))
FROM feed_entry WHE    RE ts_vec @@ to_tsquery('default', $qtxt) ORDER
BY rank(ts_vec, to_tsquery('default', $qtxt)) DESC LIMIT 5 OFFSET 0

can you tell me how to get the DISTINCT elements in LINK
thanks
Just place your distinct fields between ().

example syntax:
SELECT DISTINCT ON (field1, field2, fieldn) field1, field4
in your case:
SELECT DISTINCT ON (link) *, rank[...]

Do remember that if you select different fields than the ones you use in
the distinct, the results may not always be what you want.

e.g.:

suppose you have this data loaded in the a table:

id	field1		field2
1	foo		fooble
2	bar		barble
3	foo		wobble
4	woo		wibble
5	foo		bobble

if you "select distinct on (field1) *"  which of the records with foo in
field1 is going to be returned 1, 3 or 5? I believe this doesn't
nescescarily has to be the same value each time.