Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Superuser lost access to particular database

Tom Lane writes:

Define "freezes".  What happens exactly

doing pg_dump <db> |tee <outfile>
Shows nothing. This database is not very big so I would expect it to be done quickly. I tried a couple of other databases and they did the pg_dump without problems.

is the pg_dump or its  backend consuming CPU, or just sitting?

At 90% of my CPU.

What do ps and pg_stat_activity
and pg_locks show that it's doing?

To make sure it was not a locking issue I did pg_ctl restart.. checked that there were no locks or pretty much anything going on.. and then tried again.

(I'm speculating in particular that someone is holding an exclusive lock
on one of the tables to be dumped --- if so pg_locks would tell the tale.)

Doing it with a freshly restarted postgresql.

I have loggin set log_min_messages = info and log_statement = 'all'.
Right after I start the pg_dump there is a flury of activity, which I am putting at http://public.natserv.net/pg_dump_log.txt, but very quickly it stops producing any output to the log.
I left it for about 10 minutes and nothing was showing to the log.