Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [JDBC] Idle in transaction state.

On 10-Sep-06, at 12:12 AM, Jack Orenstein wrote:

Tom Lane wrote:
"Peter L. Berghold" <Peter@xxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
What I'm seeing is the first time my web application is being run there
is a bunch of processes running around that look like:
"postgres: peter peter_trialdb 127.0.0.1(46222) idle"
"idle" is fine, "idle in transaction" is not so fine, because those
might be holding locks that block things like schema changes. You need
to figure out why your client-side code isn't closing out its
transactions promptly.
You'd probably be better off asking on the pgsql-jdbc list about this,
as the folks likely to know about Java-stack issues hang out there.

I haven't seen the discussion show up on the JDBC list so I'll post
to both lists.

I noticed the same problem in my JDBC/postgresql application. My
application does Connection.setAutoCommit(false) for every connection;
connections were kept in a home-grown connection pool.

I began to suspect that turning off auto-commit was resulting in "idle
in transaction" processes, and also causing VACUUM to reclaim fewer
tuple versions than I thought it should be reclaiming. This was true
even though my application always either commits or aborts before
returning the connection to the pool.

Now what I do is setAutoCommit(true) after the commit or abort, and
before returning the connection to the pool. Then, on taking a
connection from the pool, I setAutoCommit(false). This seems to have
solved both problems. I don't really understand why this works,
however. I would expect the commit or abort to suffice.

(I can post a test program demonstrating the problem if there is
interest.)

Pools should set autocommit to true upon close(). Since pools wrap close() the driver has no way to deal with being put back into a pool and left idling in a transaction.

Dave

Jack Orenstein

              http://www.postgresql.org/docs/faq