Search Postgresql Archives

Re: ERROR: Gin doesn't support full scan due to it's awful

Thanks for the clarification Teodor - it makes much more sense now.

I'd agree the error message is confusing, particularly since this works:

set enable_seqscan to on;
set enable_indexscan to off;
set enable_bitmapscan to off;

select *
from test.features
where to_tsquery('') @@ features.vector;

I see why it would now. But it would be nice if the message mentioned the root cause of the problem - that the tsquery value does not contain any lexemes and thus is not valid for doing a search.

Thanks,

Charlie

Teodor Sigaev wrote:
explain analyze
select *
from test.features
where to_tsquery('') @@ features.vector

ERROR:  Gin doesn't support full scan due to it's awful inefficiency

Look:
contrib_regression=# select '{1,2,3}'::int4[] @ '{}';  --contains
 ?column?
----------
(1 row)

contrib_regression=# select '{1,2,3}'::int4[] && '{}'; --overlap
 ?column?
----------
(1 row)

contrib_regression=# select to_tsvector('asdasd') @@ ''::tsquery;
NOTICE:  query doesn't contain lexeme(s)
 ?column?
(1 row)

Semantic of different operation with void (but not NULL) argument is very different. If query doesn't contain any entry (returned by extractQuery() index support method), then GIN, in any case, doesn't know what it should return: whole set of pointers or nothing. But GIN can't return all - it will be very-very slow, because there is a lot of pointers in GIN index to each table's row.

It seems to me that message makes confuse about reason of error...

Interestingly this works:

explain analyze
select *
from test.features