Search Postgresql Archives

Re: [pgsql-advocacy] Thought provoking piece on NetBSD

Training I agree with, but certifications can go either way. A good example of where certifications are generally NOT going to work in your favour is the fiasco that Oracle has created with their OCP certification over the past 6 or so years. So many people were pushed through these OCP mills that their certifications have become worthless. HR types were finding that these Oracle-certified dba/developers are of dubious quality at best -- even though they have a piece of paper stating that they are officially trained. I know that when we look at prospective employees, that designation is totally ignored. It is their experience and ability to do the job properly that count more than anything.

There are ways around that though. I don't know much about the OCP but I know that the Cisco certs are *tough*.

Microsoft is another cert that is useless. They key is simple:

You should not be able to pass the test by reading an exam.

There needs to be things on the test that you *only* gain from real world experience.

Joshua D. Drake

my two bits.

             http://www.commandprompt.com/