Search Postgresql Archives

CASCADING could not open relation with OID

I’ve seen that some other people have had ERROR could not open relation with OID ###

The suggested cause was somebody trying to drop a table in the middle of   VACUUM.

In my case, the error seems to be spreading. Initially it affected only one table in a staging area that would get TRUNCATEd and populated every night. Now I’m starting to see it in more tables with similar functionality.

These get populated by scripts that run at night. Some of these are crashing. You can see a log below.

Has somebody experienced this before? I’m getting worried, could this be due to a faulty disk?

In the short term, I think I’m just going to recreate the tables from a backup of the schema. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Jaime

WARNING:  terminating connection because of crash of another server process

DETAIL:  The postmaster has commanded this server process to roll back the current transaction and exit, because another server process exited abnormally and possibly corrupted shared memory.

HINT:  In a moment you should be able to reconnect to the database and repeat your command.

CONTEXT:  writing block 5529 of relation 1663/16390/686426795

Bear Stearns does not provide tax, legal or accounting advice.  You
should consult your own tax, legal and accounting advisors before
engaging in any transaction. In order for Bear Stearns to comply with
Internal Revenue Service Circular 230 (if applicable), you are notified
that any discussion of U.S. federal tax issues contained or referred to
herein is not intended or written to be used, and cannot be used, for
the purpose of:  (A) avoiding penalties that may be imposed under the
Internal Revenue Code; nor (B) promoting, marketing or recommending to
another party any transaction or matter addressed herein.