Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Importance of re-index

On Aug 10, 2006, at 1:57 AM, John Sidney-Woollett wrote:

Disagree.

We only apply reindex on tables that see lots of updates...

With our 7.4.x databases we vacuum each day, but we see real performance gains after re-indexing too - we see lower load averages and no decrease in responsiveness over time. Plus we have the benefit of reduced disk space usage.

You may be getting temporary performance gains by shrinking the indexes to a level that's un-sustainable. As you update the table, it needs to create new index keys, which have to go somewhere.

Also, if I had a dollar for everytime someone thought they were safe from bloat because they were vacuuming once a day, I'd be living on a beach somewhere. There's very few databases I've seen where vacuuming once a day is sufficient, so it's very likely that you are suffering fromm bloat.

I think that the two things go hand in hand, although vacuum is the most important.

John

Jim C. Nasby wrote:
And if you're vacuuming frequently enough, there shouldn't be that much
need to reindex.

TIP 2: Don't 'kill -9' the postmaster

--
Jim C. Nasby, Sr. Engineering Consultant      jnasby@xxxxxxxxxxxxx