Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Dynamic Partial Index

Jeff Davis wrote:
On Fri, 2006-08-18 at 00:19 +0300, gustavo halperin wrote:
Create an index on the table, and then periodically move records into a
separate archive table.

Regards,
	Jeff Dave
Thanks, but I have a question. If the table is a BIIIIIIG table, use your solution is still a good idea ?? What about to create a partial INDEX for the really current date (and not using the function current_date) and periodically dropped and created it with the current day again and again ??

If you continue to drop and recreate an index like that, it will need to
scan the table during the creation of the index. That will take a while
on a large table.

You might be better off just using a normal index. To search the index
only takes log(n) time. What problem are you currently having with a
normal index?

The downside of a normal index on a large table is that the index will
grow large and consume space. I think the solution is to move seldom-
accessed records to a separate archive table. That way, you don't ever
have to scan the archive table unless you do a search in the archives.

Regards,
	Jeff Davi
OK, I become totally convinced now.  Thank you,
          Gustavo