Search Postgresql Archives

Re: COLLATE

Filip Rembiałkowski wrote:
Greg Stark wrote:

    But the closest partial solution suggested so far is the pg_xfrm (sic) function that
    has been implemented and posted at least three times by three different
    posters to the postgres mailing lists. In the interest of avoiding a fourth
    independent implementation I'll attach the one I use below, it's not big.

But I have no idea how to compile/install it.

I tried compiling but it failed:

pgdba ( at ) sulaco:~/src/postgresql-8.1.3/src$ gcc -I ./include -fPIC -c pg_strxfrm.c
pg_strxfrm.c: In function 'pg_strxfrm':
pg_strxfrm.c:98: error: 'Warn_restart' undeclared (first use in this function)
pg_strxfrm.c:98: error: (Each undeclared identifier is reported only once
pg_strxfrm.c:98: error: for each function it appears in.)

What is the answer to Filip's question?  I didn't see an answer in the list archives.  I've seen several copies of Joe Conway's pg_strxfrm.c code on the web, and it always refers to the Warn_restart variable, which doesn't seem to exist in the 8.1.4 code that I'm using.

I am working with a database in UTF-8 encoding using "C" collation - but I'd occasionally like to ORDER BY columns containing real UTF-8 data.
Would the pg_strxfrm() function get used in a new operator class function?   I'll read up on operator classes in chapter 32.14 of the docs, but if someone has a simple example, it might help other searchers of the archives.

Thanks,
Kevin Murphy