Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Is it possible (postgresql/mysql)

Harald,
I had thought of that, but I wasn't sure if there was/is a way to create the index's upon table creation, as it appears is possible with MySQL.

As for the replacing of varchar(xx) with a text data type, why do you recommend this? I want to stay as close as I can to the original code...but if you think there is a good reason and that it won't conflict with something else, then I'd like to know. Granted, varchar(xx) is nothing but a string of characters, potentially xx in length, and a text datatype is also just a string of characters, I would wonder if possibly there would be a string comparison that would treat these different on the single fact of different datatype?

Thanks for your help Harald!

Harald Armin Massa wrote:

Louis,

indizes are simply created outside the create table

CREATE INDEX someTable_Date_create
  ON someTable
  USING btree
  (date_create);

As you are working on transferring, maybe you like to drop those varchar(xx) and replace them with text. Saves a lot of hassle lateron.

Harald