Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Tuning to speed select

On 8/9/06, Tom Laudeman <twl8n@xxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

 The speed of the query is (as Michael implies) limited to the rate at which
the disk can seek and read.  I have done experiments with views and cursors;
there was no improvement in speed. I've also tried only pulling back
primary keys in the hope that a smaller amount of data would more quickly be
read into memory. No speed increase. I have also raised all the usual memory
limits, with the expected results (slight speed improvements).

Are your data structures normalized?  Performance problems queying a
single giganto table is  usually (but not necessirly in your case) a
sign of a poorly designed table structure.

otherwise it's pretty clear you get the most bang for the buck with
hardware.  consider upping ram and/or buying better disks.  you could
buy cheap sata controller and 4 raptors in raid 0+1 configuration for
<1000$ and you will feel like you have supercomputer relative to what
you have now :)

merlin