Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Tuning to speed select

I'm not so sure about that, when you create a view on a table - at least with Oracle - which is a subset(the trivial or 'proper' subset is the entire table view) of the information on a table, when a select is issued against a table, Oracle at least, determines if there is a view already on a the table which potentially has a smaller amount of information to process - as long as the view contains the proper constraints that meet your 'select' criteria, the RDBMS engine will have fewer records to process - which I'd say, certainly constitutes a time benefit, in terms of 'performance gain.'

Hence my reasoning behind determining IF there is a subset of the 'big table' that is frequented, I'd create a view on this, assuming postgresql does this too? Maybe somebody else can answer that for the pgsql-general's general information?

query-speed itself is going to be as fast/slow as your system is configured for, however my point was to shave some time off of a 1M+ record table, but implementing views of 'frequently' visisted/hit records meeting the same specifications.

Harald Armin Massa wrote:

Louis,

Views certainly help in managing complexity. They do nothing to improve query-speed.

Querying a view gets rewritten to queries to the underlying tables on the fly. (as long as there are no materialized views, which are still on a the TODO list)

--
GHUM Harald Massa
persuadere et programmare