Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Autovacuum help..

Francisco Reyes wrote:
Using 8.1.4
Have autovacuum running and it shows on the logs as running.
Ever couple of days in the last week when I tried to run vacuum analyze postgresql complained that I needed to increase my fsm_pages.

I am going to start scheduling vacuum analyze in crontab.. but if autovacuum is running shouldn't I not need to be running vacuum analyze?. and more importantly shouldn't I not be running out of fsm_pages?

In many instances the default thresholds for autovacuum are too conservative. You can try making it more aggressive and see what happens, you can do this generally, or on a table specific basis.