Search Postgresql Archives

Re: LISTEN considered dangerous

Tom Lane wrote:
Flemming Frandsen <ff@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> writes:
The listen should simply listen for events issued at the start of the transaction it's executed in.

	BEGIN;
	SELECT sleep(1000000000);
	LISTEN foo;

No, I don't think so.

			regards, tom lane

               http://archives.postgresql.org
I was just about to say that if someone was to do the following they would get the previously commited state of foo after the sleep not how foo looked before the sleep otherwise every begin would need an entire DB snapshot to be taken? Seems like it should be no different. I have been following this thread as I use LISTEN but not in as intensive way as the op and for me its working fine...

BEGIN
select sleep(100000);
select * from foo;