Search Postgresql Archives

Re: LISTEN considered dangerous

Tom Lane wrote:
However, I'm unconvinced that the OP's complaint is valid.

I'm unconvinced that I've stated the problem clearly enough.

I would still expect any
reimplementation of notify messaging to honor the principle that a
LISTEN doesn't take effect till you commit.

Naturally, the listen should not do anything at all when followed by a rollback.

However if you start listening in a transaction then you should get all events that have happened after the snapshot that the transaction represents (the start of the transaction).

That means that events that happen after the start of the transaction have to be returned in the next transaction.

--
 Regards Flemming Frandsen - http://dion.swamp.dk - YAPH