Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SQL Standards Compliance With Case

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Tom Lane wrote:

It's probably worth pointing out here that the MySQL behavior they seem to
be expecting is considerably further from the spec than Postgres's
behavior.  If I'm reading between the lines correctly, they are expecting
foo and Foo (both written without double-quotes) to be distinct
identifiers.  But these are the same identifier per spec, because the spec
*requires* case-folding of unquoted identifiers.

  Thanks very much, Tom.

  It turns out that the problem was index names. I tried to solve that, but
being unfamiliar with the entire application structure, I ended up defining
the same index name more than once. Sigh.

  I do appreciate the insight about case. I've always used only lower case
for table and field names, even back in the DOS days when I was writing
database applications in C.

Rich