Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SQL Standards Compliance With Casexx

On Wed, 12 Jul 2006, Stephan Szabo wrote:

AFAIK, SQL says that an non-quoted identifier such as Foo is treated as
FOO (case-folded to upper).  PostgreSQL currently treats it as foo
(case-folded to lower). Quoted identifiers are not case-folded and are
compared case-sensitive.

So, for example my understanding of spec would say:

  Thank you very much for the complete explanation, Stephan.

These seem to be complaining that there's already a table, view, index,
etc with that name already. Is there one being created with a different
case that's assuming that it'll preserve case rather than fold?

  That's what Josh pointed out. I totally missed that.

Many thanks,

Rich