Search Postgresql Archives

Re: Fwd: Long term database archival

On Wednesday 12. July 2006 21:03, Marco Bizzarri wrote:

>Long term archival of electronic data is a BIG problem in the
>archivist community. I remember, a few years ago, a paper describing
>the problem of historical (20+ years old) data which were running the
>risk of being lost simply because of lacking of proper hardware.

I've been reading probate protocols from the 17th century in original,
which are still in perfect condition. It's quite a contrast to the
present discussion, talking about a few decades. It's very serious,
really. A few centuries from now, our age may appear as a black hole in
history, because of our monumental lack of care in the preservation of
contemporary data.
http://solumslekt.org/ | Cruising with Gentoo/KDE