Search Postgresql Archives

Re: SQL parsing suggestions?

On Jul 11, 2006, at 11:49 AM, Vance Maverick wrote:

I have a PostgreSQL schema definition. I'd like to be able to use it as
the basis for code generation in a software build process --
specifically, I want to generate Java enums corresponding to the table
definitions. However, it would be inconvenient to have to connect to a
running database during the build.

What approach would people suggest?

I would suggest connect to a running database during the build :)

Maybe if you don't want to connect for every build, you could create a procedure that runs as part of any schema update to the database. This procedure would generate a simple, easily-to-parse file of the schema information you need for your build. Building this file from the information schema when you are connected to the database should be an easy task in comparison to creating a parser.

John DeSoi, Ph.D.
http://pgedit.com/
Power Tools for PostgreSQL